surface evaporation (AEVAP_S) – in #9: CCLM

in #9: CCLM

<p> In <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> it is convention that fluxes to the surface are in general positive, fluxes from the surface are negative. <br/> For the latent heat flux it can be made clear by the standard_name: <br/> <pre> float <span class="caps">ALHFL</span>_S(time, rlat, rlon) ; ALHFL_S:standard_name = “surface_downward_latent_heat_flux” ;</pre> </p> <p> <br/> There is no standard_name for evaporation containing “upward” or “downward” as far as I know. However, this is a good point you make. CF-conventions allow to add a “positive” attribute. Therefore the following would be a possible alternative: <br/> <pre> float <span class="caps">AEVAP</span>_S(time, rlat, rlon) ; AEVAP_S:standard_name = “water_evaporation_amount” ; AEVAP_S:positive = “down” ;</pre> </p> <p> </p>

@burkhardtrockel in #fb0d198

<p> In <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> it is convention that fluxes to the surface are in general positive, fluxes from the surface are negative. <br/> For the latent heat flux it can be made clear by the standard_name: <br/> <pre> float <span class="caps">ALHFL</span>_S(time, rlat, rlon) ; ALHFL_S:standard_name = “surface_downward_latent_heat_flux” ;</pre> </p> <p> <br/> There is no standard_name for evaporation containing “upward” or “downward” as far as I know. However, this is a good point you make. CF-conventions allow to add a “positive” attribute. Therefore the following would be a possible alternative: <br/> <pre> float <span class="caps">AEVAP</span>_S(time, rlat, rlon) ; AEVAP_S:standard_name = “water_evaporation_amount” ; AEVAP_S:positive = “down” ;</pre> </p> <p> </p>

In COSMO it is convention that fluxes to the surface are in general positive, fluxes from the surface are negative.
For the latent heat flux it can be made clear by the standard_name:

float ALHFL_S(time, rlat, rlon) ;
		ALHFL_S:standard_name = “surface_downward_latent_heat_flux” ;

There is no standard_name for evaporation containing “upward” or “downward” as far as I know. However, this is a good point you make. CF-conventions allow to add a “positive” attribute. Therefore the following would be a possible alternative:

float AEVAP_S(time, rlat, rlon) ;
		AEVAP_S:standard_name = “water_evaporation_amount” ;
		AEVAP_S:positive = “down” ;