Strange wind data in small area over Alps in CCLM5 output – in #9: CCLM

in #9: CCLM

<p> Hi Michael, </p> <p> I have to admit, I see it also, in my <span class="caps"> FPS </span> Convection simulations. <br/> It appears in all simulations, <span class="caps"> ERA </span> -Interim evaluation runs, and <span class="caps"> MPI </span> - <span class="caps"> ESM </span> -LR, hist and RCP8.5 10-years time slices. <br/> And in the direct neighborhood of a grid-point with high positive U_10m values there are points with large negative values. <br/> I did not look at V_10m yet. <br/> My runs are two nest simulations, this means, I further downscaled already existing <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> data to the final resolution of 0.0275 deg (=3km). <br/> Thus, I will have look into the results of the first nests. <br/> I looked into the soiltype data in that area. In my data the code there is 5 (loam). <br/> Can steepness of orography be a problem? <br/> Perhaps, it might be worth to activate filtering of orography and, in a second step, valley filling. <br/> But both settings have to be done already in INT2LM. </p> <p> Best <br/> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #e23d841

<p> Hi Michael, </p> <p> I have to admit, I see it also, in my <span class="caps"> FPS </span> Convection simulations. <br/> It appears in all simulations, <span class="caps"> ERA </span> -Interim evaluation runs, and <span class="caps"> MPI </span> - <span class="caps"> ESM </span> -LR, hist and RCP8.5 10-years time slices. <br/> And in the direct neighborhood of a grid-point with high positive U_10m values there are points with large negative values. <br/> I did not look at V_10m yet. <br/> My runs are two nest simulations, this means, I further downscaled already existing <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> data to the final resolution of 0.0275 deg (=3km). <br/> Thus, I will have look into the results of the first nests. <br/> I looked into the soiltype data in that area. In my data the code there is 5 (loam). <br/> Can steepness of orography be a problem? <br/> Perhaps, it might be worth to activate filtering of orography and, in a second step, valley filling. <br/> But both settings have to be done already in INT2LM. </p> <p> Best <br/> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi Michael,

I have to admit, I see it also, in my FPS Convection simulations.
It appears in all simulations, ERA -Interim evaluation runs, and MPI - ESM -LR, hist and RCP8.5 10-years time slices.
And in the direct neighborhood of a grid-point with high positive U_10m values there are points with large negative values.
I did not look at V_10m yet.
My runs are two nest simulations, this means, I further downscaled already existing CCLM data to the final resolution of 0.0275 deg (=3km).
Thus, I will have look into the results of the first nests.
I looked into the soiltype data in that area. In my data the code there is 5 (loam).
Can steepness of orography be a problem?
Perhaps, it might be worth to activate filtering of orography and, in a second step, valley filling.
But both settings have to be done already in INT2LM.

Best
Hans-Juergen