nocturnal boundary layer problem simulations – in #9: CCLM

in #9: CCLM

<p> Andreas Will wrote: <br/> &gt; You report a hard problem in COSMO also related to soil physics, dynamics in the boundary layer and convection parameterization. (Are you using deep convection parameterization?) <br/> &gt; <br/> &gt; The relevance of the land surface scheme has been analysed by Jan-Peter Schulz: <br/> &gt; 1. Missing dependency of the heat conductivity on the soil water content. <br/> &gt; The option dependency on soil water content (after Johansen, 1975) introduced in cosmo_1.14 increases the daily temperature range by 2K over northern Africa. <br/> &gt; <br/> &gt; The Land Surface Schemes Veg3D ( <span class="caps"> KIT </span> Karlsruhe, Breil) and <span class="caps"> CLM </span> ( <span class="caps"> ETH </span> Zürich, Davin) can be used alternatively. </p> <p> Dear Andreas, </p> <p> Thank you for your suggestions. I’m using model with turned on dependency of the heat conductivity on the soil water content (itype_heatcond = 2, do you mean this?) and itype_conv = 0. </p> <p> And in case we are talking about other surface schemes, are there something like starter package or description about how to run <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> coupled with them? I’ve read about them, but has no idea how to start with them. </p>

@mikhailvarentsov in #6ef4419

<p> Andreas Will wrote: <br/> &gt; You report a hard problem in COSMO also related to soil physics, dynamics in the boundary layer and convection parameterization. (Are you using deep convection parameterization?) <br/> &gt; <br/> &gt; The relevance of the land surface scheme has been analysed by Jan-Peter Schulz: <br/> &gt; 1. Missing dependency of the heat conductivity on the soil water content. <br/> &gt; The option dependency on soil water content (after Johansen, 1975) introduced in cosmo_1.14 increases the daily temperature range by 2K over northern Africa. <br/> &gt; <br/> &gt; The Land Surface Schemes Veg3D ( <span class="caps"> KIT </span> Karlsruhe, Breil) and <span class="caps"> CLM </span> ( <span class="caps"> ETH </span> Zürich, Davin) can be used alternatively. </p> <p> Dear Andreas, </p> <p> Thank you for your suggestions. I’m using model with turned on dependency of the heat conductivity on the soil water content (itype_heatcond = 2, do you mean this?) and itype_conv = 0. </p> <p> And in case we are talking about other surface schemes, are there something like starter package or description about how to run <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> coupled with them? I’ve read about them, but has no idea how to start with them. </p>

Andreas Will wrote:
> You report a hard problem in COSMO also related to soil physics, dynamics in the boundary layer and convection parameterization. (Are you using deep convection parameterization?)
>
> The relevance of the land surface scheme has been analysed by Jan-Peter Schulz:
> 1. Missing dependency of the heat conductivity on the soil water content.
> The option dependency on soil water content (after Johansen, 1975) introduced in cosmo_1.14 increases the daily temperature range by 2K over northern Africa.
>
> The Land Surface Schemes Veg3D ( KIT Karlsruhe, Breil) and CLM ( ETH Zürich, Davin) can be used alternatively.

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m using model with turned on dependency of the heat conductivity on the soil water content (itype_heatcond = 2, do you mean this?) and itype_conv = 0.

And in case we are talking about other surface schemes, are there something like starter package or description about how to run CCLM coupled with them? I’ve read about them, but has no idea how to start with them.