wrong clm output on mistral – in #9: CCLM

in #9: CCLM

<p> Hello, </p> <p> i do have some problems in simulating total precipitation in the subtropical region (South East Asia) on the new machine mistral. </p> <p> In the past i did some experiments on blizzard which worked fine (see attachment: Total_rainfall_blizzard.jpg). Now i wanted to recalculate those experiments on mistral with the same INT2LM &amp; <span class="caps"> CLM </span> Version but something seems wrong in the output. Vertical stripes occur in the output and i don’t know what i am doing wrong. It seems that it comes from the parameterization (convective_rainfal_mistral.jpg) because the grid scale rainfall looks fine for me. </p> <p> I am using the INT2LM 1.10_14 and the <span class="caps"> CLM </span> 4.8_17 version. </p> <p> Please let me know if you need further information. </p> <p> Cheers, <br/> David </p>

@redc_migration in #3cb39ac

<p> Hello, </p> <p> i do have some problems in simulating total precipitation in the subtropical region (South East Asia) on the new machine mistral. </p> <p> In the past i did some experiments on blizzard which worked fine (see attachment: Total_rainfall_blizzard.jpg). Now i wanted to recalculate those experiments on mistral with the same INT2LM &amp; <span class="caps"> CLM </span> Version but something seems wrong in the output. Vertical stripes occur in the output and i don’t know what i am doing wrong. It seems that it comes from the parameterization (convective_rainfal_mistral.jpg) because the grid scale rainfall looks fine for me. </p> <p> I am using the INT2LM 1.10_14 and the <span class="caps"> CLM </span> 4.8_17 version. </p> <p> Please let me know if you need further information. </p> <p> Cheers, <br/> David </p>

wrong clm output on mistral

Hello,

i do have some problems in simulating total precipitation in the subtropical region (South East Asia) on the new machine mistral.

In the past i did some experiments on blizzard which worked fine (see attachment: Total_rainfall_blizzard.jpg). Now i wanted to recalculate those experiments on mistral with the same INT2LM & CLM Version but something seems wrong in the output. Vertical stripes occur in the output and i don’t know what i am doing wrong. It seems that it comes from the parameterization (convective_rainfal_mistral.jpg) because the grid scale rainfall looks fine for me.

I am using the INT2LM 1.10_14 and the CLM 4.8_17 version.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Cheers,
David

View in channel
<p> Hello David, <br/> our <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> colleague Davide from Bologna lately had a similar problem. And it is not a problem of the name “David”, but he traced it back to a possible compiler bug in the Intel compiler: </p> <p> Quoting from his Mail: </p> <p> “we noticed that recent version of Intel compiler <br/> introduces a bug in src_conv_tiedtke of <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> , producing strange <br/> convective precipitation bands at <span class="caps"> MPI </span> subdomain boundaries (see <br/> attachment). This has been noticd in operational version 5.0, but I <br/> assume the convection scheme did not change recently. </p> <p> This is the compiler version: <br/> [dcesari0@node166 ~]$ ifort —version <br/> ifort ( <span class="caps"> IFORT </span> ) 15.0.2 20150121 <br/> Copyright © 1985-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. </p> <p> Qnd these are the compiler flags used: <br/> -fno-math-errno -opt-subscript-in-range -align all -axavx -xavx <br/> -heap-arrays -O3 </p> <p> By disabling all the optimizations only on the Tiedtke module (-O0) the <br/> anomaly disappears. The colleagues at Cineca will try to better isolate <br/> the bug (which flag and which code region); it seems that there is no <br/> appreciable feedback on any other model field in atmosphere, so I think <br/> the problem is confined to the prr_conv array. Has anybody noticed this <br/> problem?” </p> <p> And he showed a figure from convective precipitation, which I attach. </p> <p> Up to now nobody else complained about that problem, but maybe you are the next one. Are you using the Intel compiler? </p> <p> Ciao <br/> Uli </p>

@ulrichschättler in #cdb4f53

<p> Hello David, <br/> our <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> colleague Davide from Bologna lately had a similar problem. And it is not a problem of the name “David”, but he traced it back to a possible compiler bug in the Intel compiler: </p> <p> Quoting from his Mail: </p> <p> “we noticed that recent version of Intel compiler <br/> introduces a bug in src_conv_tiedtke of <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> , producing strange <br/> convective precipitation bands at <span class="caps"> MPI </span> subdomain boundaries (see <br/> attachment). This has been noticd in operational version 5.0, but I <br/> assume the convection scheme did not change recently. </p> <p> This is the compiler version: <br/> [dcesari0@node166 ~]$ ifort —version <br/> ifort ( <span class="caps"> IFORT </span> ) 15.0.2 20150121 <br/> Copyright © 1985-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. </p> <p> Qnd these are the compiler flags used: <br/> -fno-math-errno -opt-subscript-in-range -align all -axavx -xavx <br/> -heap-arrays -O3 </p> <p> By disabling all the optimizations only on the Tiedtke module (-O0) the <br/> anomaly disappears. The colleagues at Cineca will try to better isolate <br/> the bug (which flag and which code region); it seems that there is no <br/> appreciable feedback on any other model field in atmosphere, so I think <br/> the problem is confined to the prr_conv array. Has anybody noticed this <br/> problem?” </p> <p> And he showed a figure from convective precipitation, which I attach. </p> <p> Up to now nobody else complained about that problem, but maybe you are the next one. Are you using the Intel compiler? </p> <p> Ciao <br/> Uli </p>

Hello David,
our COSMO colleague Davide from Bologna lately had a similar problem. And it is not a problem of the name “David”, but he traced it back to a possible compiler bug in the Intel compiler:

Quoting from his Mail:

“we noticed that recent version of Intel compiler
introduces a bug in src_conv_tiedtke of COSMO , producing strange
convective precipitation bands at MPI subdomain boundaries (see
attachment). This has been noticd in operational version 5.0, but I
assume the convection scheme did not change recently.

This is the compiler version:
[dcesari0@node166 ~]$ ifort —version
ifort ( IFORT ) 15.0.2 20150121
Copyright © 1985-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Qnd these are the compiler flags used:
-fno-math-errno -opt-subscript-in-range -align all -axavx -xavx
-heap-arrays -O3

By disabling all the optimizations only on the Tiedtke module (-O0) the
anomaly disappears. The colleagues at Cineca will try to better isolate
the bug (which flag and which code region); it seems that there is no
appreciable feedback on any other model field in atmosphere, so I think
the problem is confined to the prr_conv array. Has anybody noticed this
problem?”

And he showed a figure from convective precipitation, which I attach.

Up to now nobody else complained about that problem, but maybe you are the next one. Are you using the Intel compiler?

Ciao
Uli

<p> Hello Uli, </p> <p> i hope it is not a problem of the name “David”. Nevertheless i tried your recommendation concerning the optimizations on the Tiedtke module and it worked perfectly. The strange vertical stripes disappeared and the results are comparable to those i calculated on blizzard. </p> <p> Yes, i am using the intel compiler. </p> <p> Thank you very much! </p> <p> Cheers, <br/> David </p>

@redc_migration in #02806d5

<p> Hello Uli, </p> <p> i hope it is not a problem of the name “David”. Nevertheless i tried your recommendation concerning the optimizations on the Tiedtke module and it worked perfectly. The strange vertical stripes disappeared and the results are comparable to those i calculated on blizzard. </p> <p> Yes, i am using the intel compiler. </p> <p> Thank you very much! </p> <p> Cheers, <br/> David </p>

Hello Uli,

i hope it is not a problem of the name “David”. Nevertheless i tried your recommendation concerning the optimizations on the Tiedtke module and it worked perfectly. The strange vertical stripes disappeared and the results are comparable to those i calculated on blizzard.

Yes, i am using the intel compiler.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
David

<p> Hi David, </p> <p> sorry for the late answer. </p> <p> Already some weeks ago, I repeated a decadal simulations for Africa on <span class="caps"> MISTRAL </span> , which I also performed on <span class="caps"> BLIZZARD </span> within the <span class="caps"> MIKLIP </span> project. <br/> I could (and can) not see any stripes in the results. <br/> But I did not use the <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _4.8_clm17 version, but a more recent one (4.21_clm2, which is not available via the redmine! I also don’ see them when using <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _5.0 or <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _5.1). <br/> Of course, I used the Tiedtke scheme in any case. </p> <p> However, there remain some questions: <br/> - which intel compiler version did you use? I guess, it was intel/16.0. I used an older one: intel/15.0.3. Could be interesting to recompile with intel/15.0.3 and to repeat your run, interesting not only for you and me, but perhaps also for the DKRZ people <br/> - which MPI did you use? Bull or INTEL? I used the BULL MPI, see also my recommendations on Redmine—&gt; <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at DKRZ <br/> - did you follow my recommendations? <br/> - which compiler options did you use for your first try? <br/> - did you also try to use <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _4.8_clm19? This version is available from Redmine. It would be interesting to see whether the stripes also appear when using this version. </p> <p> Hans-Jürgen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #1168dd0

<p> Hi David, </p> <p> sorry for the late answer. </p> <p> Already some weeks ago, I repeated a decadal simulations for Africa on <span class="caps"> MISTRAL </span> , which I also performed on <span class="caps"> BLIZZARD </span> within the <span class="caps"> MIKLIP </span> project. <br/> I could (and can) not see any stripes in the results. <br/> But I did not use the <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _4.8_clm17 version, but a more recent one (4.21_clm2, which is not available via the redmine! I also don’ see them when using <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _5.0 or <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _5.1). <br/> Of course, I used the Tiedtke scheme in any case. </p> <p> However, there remain some questions: <br/> - which intel compiler version did you use? I guess, it was intel/16.0. I used an older one: intel/15.0.3. Could be interesting to recompile with intel/15.0.3 and to repeat your run, interesting not only for you and me, but perhaps also for the DKRZ people <br/> - which MPI did you use? Bull or INTEL? I used the BULL MPI, see also my recommendations on Redmine—&gt; <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at DKRZ <br/> - did you follow my recommendations? <br/> - which compiler options did you use for your first try? <br/> - did you also try to use <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> _4.8_clm19? This version is available from Redmine. It would be interesting to see whether the stripes also appear when using this version. </p> <p> Hans-Jürgen </p>

Hi David,

sorry for the late answer.

Already some weeks ago, I repeated a decadal simulations for Africa on MISTRAL , which I also performed on BLIZZARD within the MIKLIP project.
I could (and can) not see any stripes in the results.
But I did not use the COSMO _4.8_clm17 version, but a more recent one (4.21_clm2, which is not available via the redmine! I also don’ see them when using COSMO _5.0 or COSMO _5.1).
Of course, I used the Tiedtke scheme in any case.

However, there remain some questions:
- which intel compiler version did you use? I guess, it was intel/16.0. I used an older one: intel/15.0.3. Could be interesting to recompile with intel/15.0.3 and to repeat your run, interesting not only for you and me, but perhaps also for the DKRZ people
- which MPI did you use? Bull or INTEL? I used the BULL MPI, see also my recommendations on Redmine—> CCLM at DKRZ
- did you follow my recommendations?
- which compiler options did you use for your first try?
- did you also try to use COSMO _4.8_clm19? This version is available from Redmine. It would be interesting to see whether the stripes also appear when using this version.

Hans-Jürgen

<p> Hello Hans-Jürgen, </p> <p> It seems that since MISTRAL is in operation now, the “Redmine–&gt; <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> ” at <br/> https://redmine.dkrz.de/projects/hlre-3-public/wiki <br/> is not publicly accessible anymore. <br/> I have read your recommendations before, but forgot to write them down. <br/> Do you have them saved anywhere else? <br/> Thanks. </p> <p> Regards, </p> <p> Weidan </p>

@redc_migration in #2c25355

<p> Hello Hans-Jürgen, </p> <p> It seems that since MISTRAL is in operation now, the “Redmine–&gt; <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> ” at <br/> https://redmine.dkrz.de/projects/hlre-3-public/wiki <br/> is not publicly accessible anymore. <br/> I have read your recommendations before, but forgot to write them down. <br/> Do you have them saved anywhere else? <br/> Thanks. </p> <p> Regards, </p> <p> Weidan </p>

Hello Hans-Jürgen,

It seems that since MISTRAL is in operation now, the “Redmine–> CCLM at DKRZ ” at
https://redmine.dkrz.de/projects/hlre-3-public/wiki
is not publicly accessible anymore.
I have read your recommendations before, but forgot to write them down.
Do you have them saved anywhere else?
Thanks.

Regards,

Weidan

<p> Hi Weidan, </p> <p> you used the wrong redmine! <br/> The correct one is </p> <p> http://redc.clm-community.eu/ </p> <p> There, go to “ <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> ” </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #4b9cbec

<p> Hi Weidan, </p> <p> you used the wrong redmine! <br/> The correct one is </p> <p> http://redc.clm-community.eu/ </p> <p> There, go to “ <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> ” </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi Weidan,

you used the wrong redmine!
The correct one is

http://redc.clm-community.eu/

There, go to “ CCLM at DKRZ

Hans-Juergen

<p> Hello Hans-Jürgen, </p> <p> I’ve used the intel/16.0 compiler. Nevertheless I also tried your recommendation to compile with the older version 15.0.3 but the problem insists. For the <span class="caps"> MPI </span> i used also Intel but i will try it now with Bull. The compiler flag was set to -O3. After setting it to -O2 the problem with the stripes disappeared. </p> <p> Like Weidan said i can not see your recommendation anymore and the redmine you are referring to i can not find any topic with <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> . </p> <p> Regards, <br/> David </p>

@redc_migration in #fc5df6f

<p> Hello Hans-Jürgen, </p> <p> I’ve used the intel/16.0 compiler. Nevertheless I also tried your recommendation to compile with the older version 15.0.3 but the problem insists. For the <span class="caps"> MPI </span> i used also Intel but i will try it now with Bull. The compiler flag was set to -O3. After setting it to -O2 the problem with the stripes disappeared. </p> <p> Like Weidan said i can not see your recommendation anymore and the redmine you are referring to i can not find any topic with <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> . </p> <p> Regards, <br/> David </p>

Hello Hans-Jürgen,

I’ve used the intel/16.0 compiler. Nevertheless I also tried your recommendation to compile with the older version 15.0.3 but the problem insists. For the MPI i used also Intel but i will try it now with Bull. The compiler flag was set to -O3. After setting it to -O2 the problem with the stripes disappeared.

Like Weidan said i can not see your recommendation anymore and the redmine you are referring to i can not find any topic with CCLM at DKRZ .

Regards,
David

<p> Hi David, hi Weidan, </p> <p> you are right. Presently, only a handful “selected” members have still access to <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> . <br/> I don’t know why. <br/> We are working on it. </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #0146538

<p> Hi David, hi Weidan, </p> <p> you are right. Presently, only a handful “selected” members have still access to <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> . <br/> I don’t know why. <br/> We are working on it. </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi David, hi Weidan,

you are right. Presently, only a handful “selected” members have still access to CCLM at DKRZ .
I don’t know why.
We are working on it.

Hans-Juergen

<p> Hi David, hi Weidan, </p> <p> please, try again whether you now have access to <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> . <br/> It should work now, not only for you, but for every member of the <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community. <br/> The reason why you could not see this project for a while was rather simple. <br/> Some time ago an e-mail had been sent to every <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community member by Burkhardt, asking whether he/she is interested in this “ <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> ” project. <br/> Only a few replied, and if the answer was positive the access was enabled. <br/> For all others no interest was assumed, access was disabled, and as a further consequence they did not get any further e-mail announcing changes related to <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> </p> <p> Thus, for <strong> every <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community member </strong> the lesson form this should be: <strong> don’t ignore such e-mails </strong> . <br/> If you ignore it, please, don’t complain afterwards </p> <p> Best regards </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #ceb731e

<p> Hi David, hi Weidan, </p> <p> please, try again whether you now have access to <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> . <br/> It should work now, not only for you, but for every member of the <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community. <br/> The reason why you could not see this project for a while was rather simple. <br/> Some time ago an e-mail had been sent to every <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community member by Burkhardt, asking whether he/she is interested in this “ <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> ” project. <br/> Only a few replied, and if the answer was positive the access was enabled. <br/> For all others no interest was assumed, access was disabled, and as a further consequence they did not get any further e-mail announcing changes related to <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> at <span class="caps"> DKRZ </span> </p> <p> Thus, for <strong> every <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community member </strong> the lesson form this should be: <strong> don’t ignore such e-mails </strong> . <br/> If you ignore it, please, don’t complain afterwards </p> <p> Best regards </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi David, hi Weidan,

please, try again whether you now have access to CCLM at DKRZ .
It should work now, not only for you, but for every member of the CLM -Community.
The reason why you could not see this project for a while was rather simple.
Some time ago an e-mail had been sent to every CLM -Community member by Burkhardt, asking whether he/she is interested in this “ CCLM at DKRZ ” project.
Only a few replied, and if the answer was positive the access was enabled.
For all others no interest was assumed, access was disabled, and as a further consequence they did not get any further e-mail announcing changes related to CCLM at DKRZ

Thus, for every CLM -Community member the lesson form this should be: don’t ignore such e-mails .
If you ignore it, please, don’t complain afterwards

Best regards

Hans-Juergen