extreme value of precipitation over tropic – in #8: General Questions

in #8: General Questions

<p> Hi Bo, </p> <p> Hi Bo, </p> <p> I saw in your <span class="caps"> YUSPECIF </span> file that you use a value of 11000m for the parameter rdheight, which defines <br/> the lower boundary the Rayleigh damping layer in y= </p> <p> In the tropics I strongly recommend a value of about 18000 m. The <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> default <br/> value is 11000 m, which is too low. </p> <p> But: when increasing rdheight you also have to increase the height of the model domain to <br/> about 30000m, which requires re-running of INT2LM. </p> <p> However, I recommend to do this and to see what happens to your precipitation. </p> <p> A possbible model setup that has been used for the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> Africa simulations is available from the <br/> CLM Communities homepage <br/> http://www.clm-community.eu/namelist-tool/namelist-tool_portal/texts/cosmo_clm_4/CCLM-AFR440_4.8_clm17.txt </p> <p> Since I assume that you do not use the <span class="caps"> MODIS </span> derived albedo, please change the parameter itype_albedo from 2 to 1. </p> <p> Best </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #412da35

<p> Hi Bo, </p> <p> Hi Bo, </p> <p> I saw in your <span class="caps"> YUSPECIF </span> file that you use a value of 11000m for the parameter rdheight, which defines <br/> the lower boundary the Rayleigh damping layer in y= </p> <p> In the tropics I strongly recommend a value of about 18000 m. The <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> default <br/> value is 11000 m, which is too low. </p> <p> But: when increasing rdheight you also have to increase the height of the model domain to <br/> about 30000m, which requires re-running of INT2LM. </p> <p> However, I recommend to do this and to see what happens to your precipitation. </p> <p> A possbible model setup that has been used for the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> Africa simulations is available from the <br/> CLM Communities homepage <br/> http://www.clm-community.eu/namelist-tool/namelist-tool_portal/texts/cosmo_clm_4/CCLM-AFR440_4.8_clm17.txt </p> <p> Since I assume that you do not use the <span class="caps"> MODIS </span> derived albedo, please change the parameter itype_albedo from 2 to 1. </p> <p> Best </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi Bo,

Hi Bo,

I saw in your YUSPECIF file that you use a value of 11000m for the parameter rdheight, which defines
the lower boundary the Rayleigh damping layer in y=

In the tropics I strongly recommend a value of about 18000 m. The CCLM default
value is 11000 m, which is too low.

But: when increasing rdheight you also have to increase the height of the model domain to
about 30000m, which requires re-running of INT2LM.

However, I recommend to do this and to see what happens to your precipitation.

A possbible model setup that has been used for the CORDEX Africa simulations is available from the
CLM Communities homepage
http://www.clm-community.eu/namelist-tool/namelist-tool_portal/texts/cosmo_clm_4/CCLM-AFR440_4.8_clm17.txt

Since I assume that you do not use the MODIS derived albedo, please change the parameter itype_albedo from 2 to 1.

Best

Hans-Juergen