Sensitivity of COSMO-CLM Regional Climate Model to the domain selection – in #8: General Questions

in #8: General Questions

<p> Hi Bijan, </p> <p> I have two questions: </p> <p> 1. Could you explain in some more detail how you determined the forcing data for the simulations in the different domains? The question came up because your “INT2LM domain” is larger than the various <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> domains. </p> <p> 2. You used a lateral relaxation zone (sponge zone) of about 590 km (see rlwidth Namelistparameter in your <span class="caps"> YUSPEFIC </span> ) and the explicit formulation of the boundary conditions, what means, that rlwidth plays a role. Did you ignore this sponge zone in your analyses? If not, then this might be the reason for large differences near the boundaries. </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #774c303

<p> Hi Bijan, </p> <p> I have two questions: </p> <p> 1. Could you explain in some more detail how you determined the forcing data for the simulations in the different domains? The question came up because your “INT2LM domain” is larger than the various <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> domains. </p> <p> 2. You used a lateral relaxation zone (sponge zone) of about 590 km (see rlwidth Namelistparameter in your <span class="caps"> YUSPEFIC </span> ) and the explicit formulation of the boundary conditions, what means, that rlwidth plays a role. Did you ignore this sponge zone in your analyses? If not, then this might be the reason for large differences near the boundaries. </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi Bijan,

I have two questions:

1. Could you explain in some more detail how you determined the forcing data for the simulations in the different domains? The question came up because your “INT2LM domain” is larger than the various CCLM domains.

2. You used a lateral relaxation zone (sponge zone) of about 590 km (see rlwidth Namelistparameter in your YUSPEFIC ) and the explicit formulation of the boundary conditions, what means, that rlwidth plays a role. Did you ignore this sponge zone in your analyses? If not, then this might be the reason for large differences near the boundaries.

Hans-Juergen