1200 mm/day precip in EURO-CORDEX runs – in #8: General Questions

in #8: General Questions

<p> Hi, <br/> a colleague of mine discovered very high values in the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> simulations for Europe. <br/> An (impressive) example: pr_EUR-11_MPI-M- <span class="caps"> MPI </span> - <span class="caps"> ESM </span> -LR_rcp45_r1i1p1_CLMcom-CCLM4-8-17_v1_day_20810101-20851231.nc shows 1200mm/day at the Finish/Russian border on the 9.8.2082 (see screenshot, August 2082 is attached as NetCDF as well). </p> <p> It’s only single grid points and single days, but high values appear now and then (over lakes?). The convective part is “only” 250mm/day. <br/> It’s not worrying me too much, but someone made a range check and came up with this number. </p> <p> Any idea what happened there? Does anybody have access to the original files so we can rule out it happened in the conversion to precipitation flux for <span class="caps"> ESGF </span> ? </p> <p> Best regards <br/> Andreas </p>

@andreasdobler in #3ab42fa

<p> Hi, <br/> a colleague of mine discovered very high values in the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> simulations for Europe. <br/> An (impressive) example: pr_EUR-11_MPI-M- <span class="caps"> MPI </span> - <span class="caps"> ESM </span> -LR_rcp45_r1i1p1_CLMcom-CCLM4-8-17_v1_day_20810101-20851231.nc shows 1200mm/day at the Finish/Russian border on the 9.8.2082 (see screenshot, August 2082 is attached as NetCDF as well). </p> <p> It’s only single grid points and single days, but high values appear now and then (over lakes?). The convective part is “only” 250mm/day. <br/> It’s not worrying me too much, but someone made a range check and came up with this number. </p> <p> Any idea what happened there? Does anybody have access to the original files so we can rule out it happened in the conversion to precipitation flux for <span class="caps"> ESGF </span> ? </p> <p> Best regards <br/> Andreas </p>

1200 mm/day precip in EURO-CORDEX runs

Hi,
a colleague of mine discovered very high values in the CORDEX simulations for Europe.
An (impressive) example: pr_EUR-11_MPI-M- MPI - ESM -LR_rcp45_r1i1p1_CLMcom-CCLM4-8-17_v1_day_20810101-20851231.nc shows 1200mm/day at the Finish/Russian border on the 9.8.2082 (see screenshot, August 2082 is attached as NetCDF as well).

It’s only single grid points and single days, but high values appear now and then (over lakes?). The convective part is “only” 250mm/day.
It’s not worrying me too much, but someone made a range check and came up with this number.

Any idea what happened there? Does anybody have access to the original files so we can rule out it happened in the conversion to precipitation flux for ESGF ?

Best regards
Andreas

View in channel