land cover changes in COSMO-CLM – in #11: EXTPAR / WebPEP

in #11: EXTPAR / WebPEP

<p> Dear all, </p> <p> My research group wants to set up new simulations by changing existing land cover (e.g., deforestation experiment: forest-&gt;bare area). We therefore need to change the external file variables. Our approach is to take the parameters of a grid with “bare area” (fraction &gt; 0.9) and use them to replace the parameters of the forested land class in the grids where forest is dominant. We identified the following parameters connected to land cover to be changed: </p> <p> var2 = (/“ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MN”,“ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MX”,“ <span class="caps"> LAI </span> _MN”,“ <span class="caps"> LAI </span> _MX”, “ <span class="caps"> FOR </span> _E”, \ “ <span class="caps"> FOR </span> _D”, “ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MN”, “ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MX”, \ “Z0”,“ <span class="caps"> ROOTDP </span> ”,“ <span class="caps"> NDVI </span> _MAX”,“ <span class="caps"> NDVI </span> ”,“LU_CLASS_FRACTION”/) </p> <p> Is it correct? Does anyone have any suggestion or comment on it? Thank you very much. </p> <p> Greetings, <br/> Bo </p>

@bohuang in #ab5caf7

<p> Dear all, </p> <p> My research group wants to set up new simulations by changing existing land cover (e.g., deforestation experiment: forest-&gt;bare area). We therefore need to change the external file variables. Our approach is to take the parameters of a grid with “bare area” (fraction &gt; 0.9) and use them to replace the parameters of the forested land class in the grids where forest is dominant. We identified the following parameters connected to land cover to be changed: </p> <p> var2 = (/“ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MN”,“ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MX”,“ <span class="caps"> LAI </span> _MN”,“ <span class="caps"> LAI </span> _MX”, “ <span class="caps"> FOR </span> _E”, \ “ <span class="caps"> FOR </span> _D”, “ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MN”, “ <span class="caps"> PLCOV </span> _MX”, \ “Z0”,“ <span class="caps"> ROOTDP </span> ”,“ <span class="caps"> NDVI </span> _MAX”,“ <span class="caps"> NDVI </span> ”,“LU_CLASS_FRACTION”/) </p> <p> Is it correct? Does anyone have any suggestion or comment on it? Thank you very much. </p> <p> Greetings, <br/> Bo </p>

land cover changes in COSMO-CLM

Dear all,

My research group wants to set up new simulations by changing existing land cover (e.g., deforestation experiment: forest->bare area). We therefore need to change the external file variables. Our approach is to take the parameters of a grid with “bare area” (fraction > 0.9) and use them to replace the parameters of the forested land class in the grids where forest is dominant. We identified the following parameters connected to land cover to be changed:

var2 = (/“ PLCOV _MN”,“ PLCOV _MX”,“ LAI _MN”,“ LAI _MX”, “ FOR _E”, \ “ FOR _D”, “ PLCOV _MN”, “ PLCOV _MX”, \ “Z0”,“ ROOTDP ”,“ NDVI _MAX”,“ NDVI ”,“LU_CLASS_FRACTION”/)

Is it correct? Does anyone have any suggestion or comment on it? Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Bo

View in channel
<p> My first guess for bare soil would be as follows (the soil experts may correct me): <br/> <pre> PLCOV_MN(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 PLCOV_MX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 LAI_MN(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 LAI_MX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 Z0(rlat, rlon) ; z0_bare = z0 - z0_veg (z0_veg is only available in the ECOCLIMAP option in WebPEP, therefore run WEbPeP a second time choosing "ECOCLIMAP" for "Land Use", do a Z012(1) - Z0_VEG(1) from that data set and replace the z0 in your external data set by the z0 you got) EMIS_RAD(rlat, rlon) ;= 0.99 RSMIN(rlat, rlon) ; ?? 0 ?? FOR_D(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 FOR_E(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 ROOTDP(rlat, rlon) ;= 0 NDVI_MAX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 LU_CLASS_FRACTION(nclass_lu, rlat, rlon) ; NA (is not used in CCLM presently) ALB_DRY(rlat, rlon) ; ?? this is for itype_albedo=2. I suggest to use itype_albedo=1 in your case, then the albedo is dependent on the soil type ALB_SAT(rlat, rlon) ; ?? this is for itype_albedo=2. I suggest to use itype_albedo=1 in your case, then the albedo is dependent on the soil type NDVI(time, rlat, rlon) ; = 0 NDVI_MRAT(time, rlat, rlon) ; = 0 </pre> </p>

@burkhardtrockel in #ddce9ba

<p> My first guess for bare soil would be as follows (the soil experts may correct me): <br/> <pre> PLCOV_MN(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 PLCOV_MX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 LAI_MN(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 LAI_MX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 Z0(rlat, rlon) ; z0_bare = z0 - z0_veg (z0_veg is only available in the ECOCLIMAP option in WebPEP, therefore run WEbPeP a second time choosing "ECOCLIMAP" for "Land Use", do a Z012(1) - Z0_VEG(1) from that data set and replace the z0 in your external data set by the z0 you got) EMIS_RAD(rlat, rlon) ;= 0.99 RSMIN(rlat, rlon) ; ?? 0 ?? FOR_D(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 FOR_E(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 ROOTDP(rlat, rlon) ;= 0 NDVI_MAX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0 LU_CLASS_FRACTION(nclass_lu, rlat, rlon) ; NA (is not used in CCLM presently) ALB_DRY(rlat, rlon) ; ?? this is for itype_albedo=2. I suggest to use itype_albedo=1 in your case, then the albedo is dependent on the soil type ALB_SAT(rlat, rlon) ; ?? this is for itype_albedo=2. I suggest to use itype_albedo=1 in your case, then the albedo is dependent on the soil type NDVI(time, rlat, rlon) ; = 0 NDVI_MRAT(time, rlat, rlon) ; = 0 </pre> </p>

My first guess for bare soil would be as follows (the soil experts may correct me):

PLCOV_MN(rlat, rlon) ; = 0
PLCOV_MX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0
LAI_MN(rlat, rlon) ; = 0
LAI_MX(rlat, rlon) ; = 0
Z0(rlat, rlon) ; z0_bare = z0 - z0_veg (z0_veg is only available in the ECOCLIMAP option in WebPEP, therefore run WEbPeP a second time choosing "ECOCLIMAP" for "Land Use", do a  Z012(1) - Z0_VEG(1) from that data set and replace the z0 in your external data set by the z0 you got)
EMIS_RAD(rlat, rlon) ;=  0.99
RSMIN(rlat, rlon) ; ?? 0 ??
FOR_D(rlat, rlon) ; = 0
FOR_E(rlat, rlon) ; = 0
ROOTDP(rlat, rlon) ;=  0
NDVI_MAX(rlat, rlon) ; =  0
LU_CLASS_FRACTION(nclass_lu, rlat, rlon) ; NA (is not used in CCLM presently)
ALB_DRY(rlat, rlon) ; ?? this is for itype_albedo=2. I suggest to use itype_albedo=1 in your case, then the albedo is dependent on the soil type
ALB_SAT(rlat, rlon) ; ?? this is for itype_albedo=2. I suggest to use itype_albedo=1 in your case, then the albedo is dependent on the soil type
NDVI(time, rlat, rlon) ; = 0
NDVI_MRAT(time, rlat, rlon) ; = 0

<p> Hi Burkhardt, <br/> thank you very much for your suggestion. <br/> Firstly, I followed the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> -EU settings. The land cover dataset is from GLC2000. Because I found that the new version of <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> has not joined the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> -EU. Then, our findings can contribute to the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> -EU project. <br/> Then, I found that for bare land grid (e.g., Sahara desert), <br/> PLCOV_MN = 0.02 <br/> PLCOV_MX = 0.05 <br/> LAI_MN = 0.4 <br/> LAI_MX = 0.6 <br/> Z0 ~= 0.05 <br/> EMIS_RAD = 0.95 <br/> RSMIN = 150 <br/> FOR_D = 0 <br/> FOR_E = 0 <br/> ROOTDP = 0.3 <br/> NDVI_MAX = 0.11~0.13 <br/> NDVI = 0.11~0.13 <br/> NDVI_MRAT = ~0.98 </p> <p> We try to replaced these parameters of a specific forested grid (if (maximum LU_CLASS_FRACTION &lt;=9)) with that from a representative bare land grid. This is only one case. We also want to change forest to grass. The approach is the same. Changing the parameters of forested girds with that from a grass land grid. I am not sure this is a correct method or not. Maybe the soil experts have comment on it. Looking forward your reply. </p> <p> Greetings, <br/> Bo </p>

@bohuang in #4064a15

<p> Hi Burkhardt, <br/> thank you very much for your suggestion. <br/> Firstly, I followed the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> -EU settings. The land cover dataset is from GLC2000. Because I found that the new version of <span class="caps"> COSMO </span> has not joined the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> -EU. Then, our findings can contribute to the <span class="caps"> CORDEX </span> -EU project. <br/> Then, I found that for bare land grid (e.g., Sahara desert), <br/> PLCOV_MN = 0.02 <br/> PLCOV_MX = 0.05 <br/> LAI_MN = 0.4 <br/> LAI_MX = 0.6 <br/> Z0 ~= 0.05 <br/> EMIS_RAD = 0.95 <br/> RSMIN = 150 <br/> FOR_D = 0 <br/> FOR_E = 0 <br/> ROOTDP = 0.3 <br/> NDVI_MAX = 0.11~0.13 <br/> NDVI = 0.11~0.13 <br/> NDVI_MRAT = ~0.98 </p> <p> We try to replaced these parameters of a specific forested grid (if (maximum LU_CLASS_FRACTION &lt;=9)) with that from a representative bare land grid. This is only one case. We also want to change forest to grass. The approach is the same. Changing the parameters of forested girds with that from a grass land grid. I am not sure this is a correct method or not. Maybe the soil experts have comment on it. Looking forward your reply. </p> <p> Greetings, <br/> Bo </p>

Hi Burkhardt,
thank you very much for your suggestion.
Firstly, I followed the CORDEX -EU settings. The land cover dataset is from GLC2000. Because I found that the new version of COSMO has not joined the CORDEX -EU. Then, our findings can contribute to the CORDEX -EU project.
Then, I found that for bare land grid (e.g., Sahara desert),
PLCOV_MN = 0.02
PLCOV_MX = 0.05
LAI_MN = 0.4
LAI_MX = 0.6
Z0 ~= 0.05
EMIS_RAD = 0.95
RSMIN = 150
FOR_D = 0
FOR_E = 0
ROOTDP = 0.3
NDVI_MAX = 0.11~0.13
NDVI = 0.11~0.13
NDVI_MRAT = ~0.98

We try to replaced these parameters of a specific forested grid (if (maximum LU_CLASS_FRACTION <=9)) with that from a representative bare land grid. This is only one case. We also want to change forest to grass. The approach is the same. Changing the parameters of forested girds with that from a grass land grid. I am not sure this is a correct method or not. Maybe the soil experts have comment on it. Looking forward your reply.

Greetings,
Bo

<p> Hi Bo, </p> <p> I suggest to contact Merja Toelle (University of Gießen, and of course <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community member). <br/> She has a lot of experience with this aforestation/deforestation stuff and the necessary manipulation of external data sets. </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #c227a25

<p> Hi Bo, </p> <p> I suggest to contact Merja Toelle (University of Gießen, and of course <span class="caps"> CLM </span> -Community member). <br/> She has a lot of experience with this aforestation/deforestation stuff and the necessary manipulation of external data sets. </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Hi Bo,

I suggest to contact Merja Toelle (University of Gießen, and of course CLM -Community member).
She has a lot of experience with this aforestation/deforestation stuff and the necessary manipulation of external data sets.

Hans-Juergen

<p> Hello Hans, </p> <p> thank you for your information. I will contact with her. </p> <p> Greetings, <br/> BO </p>

@bohuang in #13dfc47

<p> Hello Hans, </p> <p> thank you for your information. I will contact with her. </p> <p> Greetings, <br/> BO </p>

Hello Hans,

thank you for your information. I will contact with her.

Greetings,
BO