An issue in using 30000 m model top over Asian domain – in #10: INT2LM

in #10: INT2LM

<p> Burkhardt might be correct. <br/> As far as I remember, the INT2LM Version 1.10 is already able to handle the case where the uppermost <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> layer is above the highest <span class="caps"> GCM </span> layer. <br/> If I interpret the ECHAM5 vertical coordinate correctly, the highest level with meaningful values is at 20 hPa, which, <br/> with respect to the standard atmosphere is slightly higher than 26000 m. <br/> Thus, for INT2LM/CCLM you really have an additional layer from 27800 to 30000 m. <br/> Just in order to test Burkhardt’s hypothesis, delete the 27800 m level. <br/> Then you have 34 layers, the uppermost one from 25710 to 30000 m. <br/> See what happens. <br/> But be aware that this case is only for testing!!!!! <br/> Don’t use my suggestion as the new vertical coordinate for your simulations. It does not make sense!!!! </p> <p> An alternative could also be not to use results of ECHAM5 as driving data but those of ECHAM6 ( <span class="caps"> MPI </span> -ES-LR) </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

@hans-jürgenpanitz in #d40d7c2

<p> Burkhardt might be correct. <br/> As far as I remember, the INT2LM Version 1.10 is already able to handle the case where the uppermost <span class="caps"> CCLM </span> layer is above the highest <span class="caps"> GCM </span> layer. <br/> If I interpret the ECHAM5 vertical coordinate correctly, the highest level with meaningful values is at 20 hPa, which, <br/> with respect to the standard atmosphere is slightly higher than 26000 m. <br/> Thus, for INT2LM/CCLM you really have an additional layer from 27800 to 30000 m. <br/> Just in order to test Burkhardt’s hypothesis, delete the 27800 m level. <br/> Then you have 34 layers, the uppermost one from 25710 to 30000 m. <br/> See what happens. <br/> But be aware that this case is only for testing!!!!! <br/> Don’t use my suggestion as the new vertical coordinate for your simulations. It does not make sense!!!! </p> <p> An alternative could also be not to use results of ECHAM5 as driving data but those of ECHAM6 ( <span class="caps"> MPI </span> -ES-LR) </p> <p> Hans-Juergen </p>

Burkhardt might be correct.
As far as I remember, the INT2LM Version 1.10 is already able to handle the case where the uppermost CCLM layer is above the highest GCM layer.
If I interpret the ECHAM5 vertical coordinate correctly, the highest level with meaningful values is at 20 hPa, which,
with respect to the standard atmosphere is slightly higher than 26000 m.
Thus, for INT2LM/CCLM you really have an additional layer from 27800 to 30000 m.
Just in order to test Burkhardt’s hypothesis, delete the 27800 m level.
Then you have 34 layers, the uppermost one from 25710 to 30000 m.
See what happens.
But be aware that this case is only for testing!!!!!
Don’t use my suggestion as the new vertical coordinate for your simulations. It does not make sense!!!!

An alternative could also be not to use results of ECHAM5 as driving data but those of ECHAM6 ( MPI -ES-LR)

Hans-Juergen